Pages

Thursday 26 August 2010

Allotment - this year and next years plans

I finally seem to have got on top of the allotment and all it's weeds, with the help of black plastic (not very eco friendly I know, but it worked a treat and will last for years).

I have divided the allotment into sections and have a crop rotation system in place. The raspberries have a permanent spot as do the strawberries. I have 4 vegetable plots, divided by grass paths and bordered by fruit trees that I'm trying to train to espaliers (I say' trying' because I've never done it before, so its all a bit hit and miss).

The plot has been easier to keep relatively weed free, but the produce is not as much as I'd hoped. Maybe it's because I'm growing in traditional rows????? So with the use of my plot planner on http://www.growveg.com/ I converted the plot into a square foot gardening style (even though I won't be growing in raised beds) and increased the potential plot productivity.

Here is next years plan, although it doesn't show the raspberry plot (incidently growveg.com allow you a free months trial, so it's well worth checking out)

No comments:

Post a Comment