Pages

Tuesday 22 February 2011

DIY strawberry planter

Its about this time of year when I start looking at planters for my strawberries, trailing plants and tomatoes. I have seen drain pipes or plumbing pipes used as vertical planters, and came across blooming marvelous yesterday. However all these things require me to part with my hard earned cash. So whilst looking around this morning, like a bolt out of the blue, inspiration found me, in the form of black flower buckets (you know, the ones they use in supermarkets), that have been sitting in the garden for years. A stack of 20 of them cost me £1.00 from the recycling centre a few years ago and they have been useful planters in various ways. Last year I cut them in half and sunk each half in rows into grow bags and planted them with tomatoes.
This year they will become strawberry planters.
First I emptied the puddle of water out of 2 of the buckets. I hunted out the drill and the large hole maker drill bit.


Then I put the bucket on its side and drilled holes at regular intervals all around. (be careful if you are doing this, because the drill bit slips)


Then I fed the strawberry runners from last year through the holes, stacked one bucket on top of the other. Planted strawberry plants around the edge of the top of the bottom bucket and in the top of the top bucket. Voila.......1 complete strawberry planter tower. Cost...ummmm 10 pence :)


No comments:

Post a Comment