Pages

Thursday 23 September 2010

More apples


My good mate Kim (hi Kim) kindly let me raid her apple tree. She just lets them
fall and then throws them away :( So I came away yesterday with 5 carrier bags full and that was from the branches I could reach from standing.

I've sorted the apples into 'use now' and 'store for later' and put the 'store for later' ones in trays in the garage wrapped in sheets of newspaper.

Then I have set about starting to use the 'use now' ones. I've made iced apple souffle and apple snow, 3 apple cakes (now frozen) had pork chops with apple for dinner, along with boiled potatoes from the allotment. I peeled and chopped some using my new apple corer and slicer tool. Anybody with alot of apples to process needs one of these handy little gagets, they save hours of chopping. The apple slices are in the freezer waiting to be turned into apple pie on Sunday.

On the allotment front, I covered part of the plot with black platic today in preparation for winter. I put it over the green manure I had sown a few weeks ago. It was raining and I just did not have the time to dig it all in. I'll pull up the plastic in the spring and turn the soil when its all rotted down.

I also dug up the last of the potatoes, although I always manage to leave some which pop up as new plants the following year. Trouble if I can't bear to chop them down, so I end up with random poato plants in weird places.

I bought some manure a few days ago, so will cover the bases of the fruit trees with newspaper and cover that in manure sometime soon. I bought some garlic bulbs too and must remember to get them in the ground soon, rather than forget and plant them in spring, like I did this year, which resulted in a poor crop suitable only for making bug spray.

No comments:

Post a Comment